Sustainable Agriculture Institute
The Nominating Committee submits the slate of candidates for SAI officer and director positions in January of each year.
The Nominating Committee is composed of the Chair, Vice Chair-Chair Elect, and Immediate Past Chair (serving as Committee Chair), plus six other members. The six shall be appointed by the Vice Chair-Chair Elect (who shall preside as Board Chair during the year for which the appointments are made) and shall come from the membership at large.
Three of the six members shall be deans (or chief officers) from educational institutions that are members of the Accreditation Council, two shall be deans (or chief officers) from educational member institutions that are not members of the Accreditation Council, and one shall be a representative from a non-educational member institution.
The Nominating Committee must reflect the global membership of SAI.
1. No later than May 1, the Chair (who becomes Immediate Past Chair at the conclusion of their current term), or his or her designated representative, will invite suggestions for Nominating Committee members for the next fiscal year beginning July 1. Each Board member, committee chair, affinity group chair, will be encouraged to submit names of possible candidates. Recommendations will be due to the Vice Chair-Chair Elect (who shall preside as Board Chair during the year for which the appointments are made) within 30 days of the request.
2. The Vice Chair-Chair Elect (who shall preside as Board Chair during the year for which the appointments are made) will appoint the Nominating Committee no later than July 1 of the year of service. Members with previous SAI officer and Board experience will be prioritized.
3. The Committee Chair, or his or her designated representative, will issue a request for nominations for SAI officer and director positions by July 15, due by August 15, to:
- SAI Board of Directors
- SAI Committee Chairs
- Accreditation Committee Members
Nominations will also be solicited through SAI e-mail to all members. To assist the Nominating Committee in candidate selection, nominators must include a Nominee Data Form with all nominations submitted.
4. Prior to the September Board meeting, staff will confirm membership; compile nominee data forms; and, compile SAI service records and other relevant background information on each potential nominee. A package of materials about the nominees will be provided to the Chair, Vice Chair-Chair Elect, and Immediate Past Chair before the meeting.
5. At the September meeting, the Chair, Vice Chair-Chair Elect, and Immediate Past Chair will review the candidates and provide input for consideration by the Nominating Committee.
6. The Committee Chair, or his or her designated representative, will send the list of nominees, including the Chair, Vice Chair-Chair Elect, and Immediate Past Chair’s input, to the Nominating Committee two weeks prior to the scheduled Nominating Committee meeting. Officer and director position descriptions, along with nominee service records and biographical information will be provided with the list.
7. The Committee will normally hold a face-to-face meeting in September to prioritize nominations. Nominees will be selected by Committee consensus. Two alternates are to be identified for each nomination. Acceptance of nominations will be secured as soon as possible, preferably within two weeks of the meeting.
8. The Committee Chair presides over meetings of the Committee and is authorized to approve all visitors to the meetings.
9. A simple majority of the Nominating Committee will constitute a quorum.
10. Meetings are relatively informal, but Robert’s Rules of Order and parliamentary procedure guide formal actions.
11. The Chancellor will confirm the list of nominees to the SAI Chair by November 30.
12. The nominations will be presented for ratification to the Board at the January Board meeting or sooner.
13. The election will be held during the last two weeks of January. Results will be announced by mid-February.